The magnificent 10th-12th century Hindu temples of Khajuraho — with their soaring towers and engaging sculptures — represent the pinnacle of the North Indian temple style. Still infused with their historical magic, they are yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
- Art and architecture review. We provide an overview of Hindu architecture, isolating trademark features that you will see again and again while touring Khajuraho’s temples. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
- The Khajuraho style. We then turn our focus to the temples of Khajuraho, highlighting the architectural advancements that were undertaken to make them the culmination of the North Indian temple style. To help travelers understand the groundbreaking nature of these advancements, we compare the temples of Khajuraho with those in the neighboring state of Orissa.
- Tour of the highlights. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we offer a tour of Khajuraho’s premier temples: Lakshmana, Vishvanatha, Chitragupta, Devi Jagadambi, and Kandariya Mahadeva. For each, we reveal its most important architectural and decorative features and offer a discussion that ties it all together.
- The reliefs. Since the inevitable highlight of any visit to Khajuraho is seeing the famous erotic reliefs that adorn its temples’ walls, we reveal their stylistic features, their symbolism, and the religious philosophy of Tantra that likely inspired them.
- Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
- Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.